The internet is filled with videos of shaving creams exploding, which is becoming a worrisome trend, but you don’t have to experience it before you can apply some safety precautions. To curtail this, we have taken it upon ourselves to research and write an in-depth post on why shaving creams explode and how you can prevent such occurrences.
Shaving creams can explode for various reasons. Some of the reasons are:
- Shaving creams contain isopentane, which is highly flammable.
- Shaving cream cans contain soluble carbon dioxide (CO2 ) gas, which, when under intense pressure, has nowhere to go to but to explode.
- Direct exposure to heat
- Bad Seal
Don’t be dissuaded by the simple points above. We have to keep you fully informed about the causes and dangers of shaving cream explosion and how you can prevent it. We have outlined it bit by bit and the preventive ways of handling it below. Keep reading, and you will be glad you did.
Why Do Shaving Creams Explode?
Are you wondering why many shaving creams are exploding? They explode for the reasons below.
Your shaving cream can explode if the seal covering the cover has been tampered with or not rightly sealed. This can cause a hole in the can, which ultimately will lead to a rush of bubbles trying to escape from the can. Also, it can explode from the bottom as a result of dampness and rust. This is caused by exposure to a humid environment, which leads to rust in the can’s bottom.
Direct Exposure to Heat
Shaving creams, when left in a heated compartment for an extended period, can explode. As the liquid in the can warm, the carbon dioxide is pressurized, thus seeking an escape. The unabated pressure will eventually cause the can to explode aggressively. You are wondering how this happened? As the temperature increases, the gas pressure also increases. The heating of the gas further leads to the particles bumping into the container walls.
Presence of Isopentane
Isopentane is known to be highly flammable, with a high tendency to explode when exposed to heat. Since this is present in most shaving creams, constant exposure to a humid environment or adverse weather will cause the can to heat up and eventually explode. To avoid this, ensure that your store where the shaving creams are kept are well ventilated and wholly devoid of flames or smokes.
Soluble Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
Carbon Dioxide (Co2) can explode at the slightest impact. The buildup of the gas will eventually cause the can to explode due to the inability of the clustered bubbles to escape from the can.
What are Shaving Creams made of?
Have you ever wondered what the shaving creams you use are made up of? I know you never thought of this. Count yourself lucky as we are going to shed more light on the components of shaving cream foams.
Whenever cosmetic products are mentioned, our minds automatically go to women, but this time around, we are going to take a look at a product specifically made for men. Most shaving creams contain the following:
PEG or Polyethylene Glycol is a cleansing agent that is capable of contaminating the immune system. Also, it is a non-restricted ethoxylated compound.
The isopentane is the agent that helps the shaving cream foam to inflate. Be aware that apart from being highly hazardous, it is also dangerous to aquatic organisms as well.
Linalool is an allergenic fragrance and odorant substance that is present in lavender, the essence of cinnamon, etc. Regulators maintained that it must be indicated on the label since the European Parliament gave the directive in 2003.
Triethanolamine is an allergen, a substance that is used to stabilize or adjust the pH. In simple terms, it’s a buffering agent.
- Palm Oil
It does not pose any danger. Palm oil is hidden under names such as fatty acid monoglyceride, Cetearyl alcohol, sodium palmate, or palmitic acid
How to Prevent Shaving Cream Explosion
You already know why shaving creams explode. This can be as a result of negligent on your part, carelessness, and other reasons. However, there are things you can do to prevent such occurrences in the future.
- Install a Dehumidifier
To prevent the cans from exploding, you should install a dehumidifier in your bathroom and every other place you store your shaving creams. Dehumidifiers not only help you to regulate the level of humidity, but it is also beneficial to your health as it helps to eliminate unpleasant odor, aids temperature control, but also prevents the growth of mildew as well.
- Draw the cover with your fingers
You can stop your shaving cream from exploding by merely drawing or placing your finger across the lid for a few seconds. We know you are wondering how, but doing that is not as difficult as you think it to be.
When your shaving cream is shaken or heated, the bubbles formed as a result of carbonation build-up will rush to the sides and top of the can seeking for how to escape. By simply tapping the cover of the can, you succeed in dispersing the bubbles, thus preventing it from exploding.
- Dispose of the Cans You no Longer Need
Disposing of your used shaving cream cans is one sure way to prevent it from exploding. Like we stated at the beginning of the post, shaving creams contain some chemicals which are dangerous to your skin, especially when kept for too long. Amongst these chemicals is propylene glycol, which has been studied to cause severe allergies and irritation to the skin. It can also lead to the development of asthma and eczema even though the FDA classified it as being “safe.”
Also, it contains surfactant chemicals, which, even though might not be injurious at the moment, might make the skin more alkaline after long-term exposure.
How to Choose the Right Shaving Cream for your Face
Many men can relate to the agony they go through using the wrong shaving creams how much more those who do not use it at all. No doubt, some men do not use shaving cream, while some use just soap and water. But then, shaving cream when rightly used helps you to get a cleaner shave.
Also, choosing the right shaving cream can help you avoid skin irritation. Personally, this is one irritation I never wish to experience again after the last bumps on my face disappeared.
The list below will guide you on things to look for when choosing a shaving cream for your face.
- Oily Skin: If your skin is oily, going for mild stringent shaving cream is your best bet. This type of shaving cream helps to reduce the oil on your skin, thus making shaving more comfortable and smoother.
- Price: No doubt, price plays a huge role in our everyday decision making. While it is essential to consider the cost of things we buy, we should also not sacrifice quality in place of it. Rather than going for low product shaving creams, look for good deals that will offer the same value.
- Sensitive Skin: If your skin is sensitive, then you are prone to be more irritated, and as such, you need to be more careful when shopping for shaving cream. Your best bet is to go for shaving creams that are free of allergens, contains little fragrance. Do not make a mistake to assume that sensitive skin and dry skin can use the same shaving creams. This is not true, and you might end up irritating yourself if you use the wrong shaving cream.
- The Quality of the Cream: This is as important as the price of the cream. By all means, avoid going for low-quality shaving creams. The low price associated with them might be responsible for the low quality, and going for them is an open invitation for skin irritation. Admittedly, this is not something you would love to experience.
- Dry Skin: If you have dry skin, your shaving cream should be the one that contains glycerin. Dry skins are sensitive by nature, and what the glycerin does is to ensure the blade glide smoothly on your skin without cutting you. Also, glycerin moisturizes the skin, thus making shaving easier.
Now You Know Why Shaving Creams Explode and How You Can Prevent it.
Make it your duty to do the right things that will prevent shaving creams from exploding to avoid injuries or even death as the case may be. One way to do this is to go for the right shaving cream that suits your skin. If, after this, you still have some questions, do not hesitate to ask them using the comment field below.